Company: Austal USA
Posted on: February 11, 2019
Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal s commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
REPORTS TO: Deputy Program Engineer
SUPERVISES: Directs the work of Engineers and/or others assigned to the Project Team, along with related Engineering activities as directed by the Deputy Program Engineer.
Responsible for technical/operational leadership of project(s) in a matrixed environment by performing technical studies to define, generate and review project requirements, monitoring the assigned project(s) to ensure work scope, schedule, and budget are well defined and maintained, and coordinates between resource managers/supervisors and ensures reviews and approvals are received.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for technical/operational leadership of assigned project(s)/mission within the programmatic guidelines set by the Program Manager and customer.
* Oversees and directs the work of assigned Engineers to related projects.
* Defines, generates, and reviews project requirements documentation within defined scope.
* Monitors project to ensure work scope, schedule, and budget are well defined and maintained.
* Ensure resolution of engineering, material and planning issues
* Ensure implementation of improved engineering processes
* Provides the coordination between resource managers/supervisors and ensures all necessary reviews and approvals are received.
* Interacts with other business departments such as Finance, Production Control, Supply Chain, Program Management, etc.
* Complies with Austal s employee handbook general guidelines, company
procedures and policies.
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor s Degree in Engineering required.
* Five (5) years of shipyard design and large ship construction experience required.
* Candidate with equivalent experience as a Cognizant Engineer over multiple systems may be considered in lieu of shipyard design experience.
* Candidate with similar large engineering design project experience (such as offshore drilling platforms) may be considered in lieu of shipyard design experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of Shipbuilding specifications such as ABS, Mil, API, and other similar general construction specs required.
* Experience in identifying and anticipating design/production work sequence conflicts required.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
* Demonstrated knowledge of scheduling, possess an ability to monitor progress to schedule and adhere to strict deadlines required.
* Demonstrated knowledge of ship building production such as build strategies, critical path, and production milestones required.
* Computer literate and familiar with AutoCAD, Microsoft Office products
* Demonstrated knowledge of ship engineering systems required.
* Willingness and ability to spend time onboard the vessel going up and down staircases and vertical ladders required.
* Working knowledge of Maritime Regulatory Authorities (i.e. ABS, DNV, GL, NAVSEA, MIL, USCG, IMO, etc.) required.
* Experienced in the construction of high speed aluminum vessels preferred.
* Demonstrated knowledge of large modular construction methods preferred.
* Experienced in design and construction of US Navy vessel preferred.
* Demonstrated understanding of shock design preferred.
All candidates must meet Austal USA s basic employment eligibility guidelines:
* 18 years or older at time of application
* Able to provide proof of US Person status (permanent resident or citizen)
* No felony convictions of theft/deception or violent crimes within seven years from disposition date
* No felony convictions of drug crimes within three years from disposition date
* Willing to submit to a drug screen
* Willing to submit to a background check
* Must be able to obtain and maintain required Security Clearance.
TOOLS: Computer MS Office, AutoCAD
DIRECTION EXERCISED: Coordinates the work of Engineers, Designers and Draftspersons assigned to the Program.
DISCRETION EXERCISED: As assigned by the Deputy Program Engineer
LIAISES WITH: Engineers, Designers, Draftspersons, Production Personnel, Production Control, Supply, Logistics, Regulatory Bodies, Program Management and Equipment Suppliers
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand,
walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and
balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally
required to sit.
Specific physical requirements include the following:
1. Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel.
2. Perform prolonged standing.
3. Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
4. Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
5. Lift/push/pull 50lbs to 75lbs on an occasional basis.
6. Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
7. Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes
stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
8. Ability to work at heights above 12 while working from ladders, scaffolding
and/or man lifts.
9. Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
10. Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and
11. Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering
12. Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and
13. Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, steeltoes
shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
safely per OSHA standards.
14. Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
15. Ability to enter 18 x 36 openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged
periods of time.
16. Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
17. Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
18. Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to
the side and reaching down.
19. Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape,
temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters whIle performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Keywords: Austal USA, Mobile , Project Engineer, Engineering , Mobile, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!