Downstream Mechanical Engineer
Company: PEMEX Deer Park Refinery
Location: Deer Park
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Pemex Deer Park is a highly complex refinery located 18 miles
east of Houston in Deer Park, TX, and is a part of the Pemex group
which is a fully integrated oil company in the Americas, working
across the entire value chain: exploration, production, industrial
processing/refining, logistics and marketing. Pemex Deer Park
provides a diverse and inclusive work environment that employs
approximately 1000 employees with another 1200 contractors on site.
The refinery's rated capacity is 340,000 barrels per day and has
the feed flexibility to process multiple grades of crudes to
produce the high-quality transportation fuels the world needs. The
Pemex site is co-located with other 3 rd party chemical facilities
allowing for further integration and optimization of the refinery
and its products.
The primary purpose of the PTSE role is to deliver year-on-year
improvements to asset integrity, availability, and profitability in
their Production Units. To accomplish this, the PTSE is empowered
to be the owner of the mechanical equipment (rotating and fixed) in
their assigned Production Area of the Deer Park Refinery.
- Technical capabilities and competence in both mechanical static
and rotating equipment, including:
- Pumps, General Purpose Turbines, Seal Systems, Lubrication
Systems, Fin Fans and Blowers
- Piping Systems, Relief Devices, Bolted Joints Integrity and
- The PTSE is responsible for the development and delivery of
their respective Production Area's major maintenance / operational
- Monitoring spend on maintenance work executed in the production
- Preparing and submitting well-considered work scopes and
investment proposals to Asset Managers and Site leadership teams.
- Delivery. Build strong working relationships with and leverage
support from broad range of stakeholders and peers, within:
- Production Team - Asset Manager, Productions Specialists,
Operators, Maintenance Supervisor, Inspectors, Process Engineers,
and Safety Representative
- Central Engineering - Rotating and Static Equipment SMEs, other
engineering counterparts in Electrical, Civil, Control Systems and
- Maintenance and Turnarounds - Planners, Execution Team Leads
and Cost Controllers
- Project Engineering Support functions - Finance Advisor,
Capital Planning Focal Point, Contracts & Procurement.
The PTSE is the first point of contact for mechanical systems in
their respective production areas. Below are the key areas of
responsibility for PTSEs. There are intended to outline core
expectations and not necessarily be fully comprehensive.
- Operations Support
- Work with Operations and Maintenance counterparts to solve
day-to-day problems for safe and reliable unit operation.
- Participate in Production Team meetings to stay aware of key
- Support as a key contributor during stabilization and recovery
from operational upsets.
- Critical Work Processes
- Risk Management : Own all mechanical equipment-related
threats/opportunities - mature/mitigate/realize
- Management of Change (MoC) : develop the technical basis for
design (TBDs), provide/facilitate tech assurance & hazard screening
of design, maintenance planning, pre-startup safety reviews, and
- Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) : Facilitate and
continuously improve Asset Care Plans for mechanical equipment.
- Technical Delivery
- Leverage technical acumen to outline the detailed scope of
changes to mechanical equipment. Assure compliance with Industry
Standards, Company Design Practices, and local Site Orders for all
- Assess health of Mechanical Equipment by utilizing:
- Ensure Safe Production (review production unit shift reports,
Assess operating window exceedances).
- Managed Equipment Care (support completion of compliance
inspections & implementation of mechanical equipment
- Proactive Technical Monitoring (review exceptions from
Operations sensory rounds, assess vibration analysis, and oil
sample analysis results and recommend corrective actions).
- Preventive and Predictive Maintenance (drive compliance and
- Seek to identify and close gaps in own technical development to
qualify to hold technical assurance authorities (preferably in
Rotating and/or Static equipment engineering).
- Problem Solving
- Champion Causal Learning within the Production Team.
- Perform investigations on failures related to mechanical
- Seek to understand the root cause and correct issues the first
- Identify opportunities to reduce waste in work processes using
LEAN / Continuous Improvement methodology.
- Business Planning
- Deliver the multi-year Major Maintenance plan. Ensure it is
credible, competitive, affordable and will result in year-on-year
improvement in asset integrity, availability, and
- Ensure mechanical equipment improvements are adequately funded
and suitably categorized within business plan portfolios' (CapEx,
OpEx- Infrastructure / Turnarounds etc.)
- Project Management
- Participate in monthly Maintenance Team meetings. Provide
updates on work scopes, forward plan, and current progress.
Contribute to decisions that are " best for the Site ".
- Challenge self and Production Team to assess that work is being
executed in the "right" place in the organization based on
- Turnaround Support (Note - turnaround-related tasks can vary
based on assigned Production Unit)
- Support work scope development and field execution for
- Coordinate mechanical equipment surveillance
- Coordinate Production Unit pre-startup reviews and
- This person must be able to work at all levels of the
organization and have the appropriate skills to influence others in
- Prioritize a high workload within the production team Leverage
technical skills, project management skills, and soft skills
- Lifting requirements of 25 lbs.
- Walking distances of up to a mile
- Climbing portable and vessel ladders to elevations over 100
- 90% of work is performed in an outside petrochemical
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum three (3) years of related Manufacturing Industry
experience, Petrochemical or Refinery experience preferred.
- Related experience in reliability maintenance (including a
sound understanding of Engineering and Maintenance processes).
Knowledge of the concepts of Risk Assessment, Reliability Centered
Maintenance, Management of Change, and Causal Learning.
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills. Strong verbal and
written communication skills with the ability to interface with
personnel from diverse backgrounds at all levels of the
organization. Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple
- Demonstrated skill in working with teams to achieve a common
Keywords: PEMEX Deer Park Refinery, Mobile , Downstream Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , Deer Park, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!